Newnan First United Methodist Church
- Type of Position: Full-Time
- Education Requirement: Bachelor's (Master's preferred)
- Date Posted: March 22, 2022
Newnan First United Methodist Church exists to INVITE, INCLUDE, and INVOLVE all people to grow together in grace so that they may go into the world and share the love of Jesus Christ.
Newnan First United Methodist Church is seeking a Director of Music & Worship/Organist. Our church has a rich tradition of music and provides a variety of musical opportunities for choral music. Of notable value is our sanctuary organ which is a 1930 three manual pipe organ recently rebuilt by AE Schlueter of Atlanta with a brand-new solid-state console with full Midi capabilities.
The position of Music Director/Organist will have leadership and communication skills that will facilitate the thriving program already in place.
The main responsibilities are as follows:
- Collaborate with the Senior Pastor and other staff in planning traditional worship services within the context of the Methodist doctrine.
- Play the organ for all worship and special services.
- Work alongside other staff members with funerals, baptisms, and other worship elements and events.
- Manage and coordinate volunteer directors, accompanists, and congregational supporters.
- Maintain and grow a robust music program of sacred and secular choral music. The church currently supports an adult Chancel Choir, a senior choir for older adults, a women’s ensemble, a choir for youth along with a youth ensemble, three children's choirs, and both adult and children's bell choirs.
Reports to: Head Pastor
Coordinates closely with: Clergy, other church staff, the Associate Director, members of the Worship Committee, and numerous volunteers. In place is a part-time Associate Director who currently directs the Youth Choir and Ensemble, helps coordinate with volunteer directors, and facilitates the music library.
Experience & Qualifications:
- The preferred candidate will possess a combination of musical expertise, organ performance, and academic knowledge.
- Will be a community-minded person who enjoys the many cultural opportunities of Coweta County and the Greater Atlanta area.
- Able to support the young musicians of our church through their involvement in their school programs and other cultural events in the Coweta County community.
- Will have a bachelor’s degree in a related field, with a master’s degree strongly preferred.
- The position is best suited to someone willing to be involved with the daily life of a church. Should have interpersonal skills, both as a ministry leader and as a team member, the ability to propose innovative ideas while coordinating closely with others, and an established comfort level with directing.
- The job enjoys long-term, “visionary” planning, with goals of growing and developing programs while maintaining existing excellence.
- Equally important is shorter-term execution of leadership goals with weekly rehearsals, budgeting, staff/volunteer coordination for Worship service components, and regular communication with music ministry participants (singers, instrumentalists.)
What Newnan First Methodist has to offer you
Newnan First United Methodist Church is a historic church located in the heart of downtown Newnan, GA. We pride ourselves on being an integral part of the community. This location has allowed us to grow and develop as a multi-generational congregation that supports an active pre-school/kindergarten and has many members who live at a local Methodist senior living division of Wesley Woods. Newnan is a growing community that is part of the Greater Atlanta Metropolitan area. There are many cultural opportunities for our church, including the Masterworks Community Chorale, a group of advanced singers and instrumentalists who perform at a high-caliber level, in addition to the use of Atlanta area musicians for special programs. Locally, the Donald W. Nixon Centre for Performing and Visual Arts is a state-of-the-art venue that, along with the Wadsworth Auditorium and the Newnan Theatre Company, offers a variety of cultural events throughout the year. The Coweta County Schools are rich in developing young musicians who also contribute to our music ministries.
There is permanent full and part time staff during the week, as well as a calendar of missions, study classes, Sunday School classes, and social events. We offer a competitive compensation package and have an on-site preschool and kindergarten. For additional information please visit our website at newnanfumc.org or our social media sites on Facebook and Instagram.
Contact/How to Apply
Applicants should send a resume to email@example.com. Questions can be directed to (770) 253-7400. The application deadline is July 1, 2022.