Calvary United Methodist Church
- Type of Position: 12 month position, Part-Time (30 hours a week)
- Date Posted: October 26, 2021
- Education Requirements: Requires a minimum of a Bachelor's degree in music, preferably Church Music
Experience Requirements: Three to five years of experience (preferably paid experience) in choral directing. Requires music and keyboard/organ training in classical and standard church music. Three to five years of experience accompanying musical groups is desired.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides organ music for worship services, weddings, and funerals; Accompanies special ensembles and soloists.
- Oversees the music ministry of Calvary Church. Provides guidance, direction and assistance to the directors of the other choirs in order to maintain a quality music program enhancing and contributes to the overall ministry of the church.
- Trains, rehearses, and directs the Adult Choir, Bell Choir, Youth Choir, and Children’s Choir. Coaches and trains choir soloists.
- Arranges for the regular maintenance of the organs and pianos by entrusting the work to qualified and trained professionals.
- Hires musicians for special services.
- Maintains keyboard proficiency with standard church and classical music.
- Submits a yearly music budget to the finance committee. Accountable for managing music budget.
- Orders music and materials for the music ministry as needed and budget allows.
- Serves on the following boards and committees:
- Church Council
- Worship Committee
- Music Committee
- Assists the pastors in planning online and in-person worship services, making sure the music selections enhance the worship experience.
- Determines appropriate settings and organ registrations for hymn selections and choral accompaniment.
- Participates in church team meetings and keeps the church teams abreast of all music activities.
- Participates in conferences, workshops, etc. in order to be aware of new ideas, methods, and techniques.
- Encourages the growth of all choirs by inviting and enlisting new persons for the music ministry, making the music program at Calvary a positive and rewarding experience for participants.
- Establishes annual goals for the music ministry and secures goals from each of the other directors.
- Ensures pastoral care for the music ministry is provided as needed.
- Maintains the choral library and choir robes; ensures the choir room is prepared for rehearsals.
- Attends and submits a report for the annual Charge Conference.
- Participates in special areas of the church ministry such as Vacation Bible School, etc. as requested.
- Assists with the church’s Community Concert Series, including reviewing and booking musicians.
- Optimizes resources (vocal and instrumental) from the church & community.
- Substitutes for other choir leaders as necessary.
- Consults with families for weddings and funerals.
- Arranges for substitutes during times of absence.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Requires a demonstrated understanding of music ministry and the role it plays in the life and mission of the church, as well as subscription to the principles and values of the Christian faith.
- Satisfactory completion of criminal and sexual offender background check, character and conduct questionnaire, and safe sanctuary training according to Calvary United Methodist Church Safe Sanctuary policy.
Benefits and Compensation
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Benefits include:
- Four weeks of paid vacation
- Option to participate in medical and dental plan
- Option to participate in WESPATH pension plan
- Continuing education allowance
Please contactInterested candidates can contact Rev Steve Larsen, Pastor at RevSteve@calvaryumc.org.