Myers Park United Methodist Church
- Type of Position: Full-Time
- Experience Requirement: At least 5 years
- Education Requirement: Bachelor's (Master's preferred)
- Date Posted: September 14, 2021
The Director of Music Ministry is a full-time permanent position leading music ministry staff, congregants, and the greater community to create and experience spiritually inspiring and uplifting sacred music.
Qualifications and Education Requirements:
- Enthusiasm for serving Christ and the Church, with a desire to work in a team ministry environment to glorify God and enhance the worship life of the congregation through the musical talents and gifts of its congregants.
- A desire to help people of all ages and abilities express their faith through music.
- Superb musicianship and knowledge and appreciation of a variety of music styles.
- Minimum of five years’ experience (ten years or more preferred) in church-related music ministry including determination of appropriate musical selections for both vocal and instrumental settings.
- Strong skills in planning, organizing, team building, and worship development, partnered with a congenial personality and even temperament.
- College degree required; music-related advanced degree and expertise in sacred music and hymnody are strongly preferred.
- Keyboard skills preferred, but not required; excellent organist/pianist on staff.
- Develop, in collaboration with staff and participants, a unifying mission and vision for the Music Ministry and execute such vision with planning and action items.
- Supervise Music Ministry staff, including but not limited to Associate Director of Music and Organist, Director of Handbells and Children’s and Youth Choirs, Director of Church in the Round Music, and Music Ministry Assistant, and support opportunities for each to utilize, grow, and live into his/her unique gifts and abilities.
- Work closely with the Senior Pastor in planning worship themes and topics throughout the year and selection of music appropriate to scripture, sermon, and/or liturgical season.
II. Music Direction:
- Collaborate creatively with Music Ministry staff and our clergy in planning music for Sunday worship and all special services.
- Provide music direction for all regularly scheduled sanctuary worship services and special services, including Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, and annual Christmas Concert.
- Coordinate leadership of various vocal ensembles, which currently includes:
- Chancel Choir: a 50+ adult choir singing weekly for the 9:45 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. worship services and participating in special concerts through the year;
- Chamber Singers: a premiere auditioned vocal ensemble performing varied repertoire primarily in worship and other special concerts and church events; and
- Women’s Choir: an ensemble for women of all ages performing sacred music of varying styles while enjoying a group rich in fellowship and joy.
- Audition, direct, and supervise section leaders.
- Recruit, engage, and inspire Music Ministry volunteers in the life of the church and motivate them to grow their musical talents.
- Coordinate with Music Ministry staff to provide direction and coordination with other ensembles, including Myers Park Strings and various handbell ensembles.
- Procure, manage, and direct instrumentalists for special services and programs.
- Create, plan, promote, and coordinate various Music Ministry programs offered outside the church (special concerts, choir tours, mission trips, educational opportunities for congregants, service and outreach, etc.).
- Manage, in collaboration with the Associate Director of Music and Organist, music direction, keyboard support, and engagement of requested soloists and/or instrumentalists for weddings, funerals, and memorial services.
- Manage appropriate and timely care and maintenance for all organs, pianos, the Tower carillon, and musical instruments, including regular tuning of all organs and pianos. Provide oversight and accountability for administration of the Music Ministry Budget.
- Provide leadership and fundraising efforts for the Walter Herbert Ball Endowment Fund for Music, which provides funding for music programs of the church, including establishing an advisory board to review and approve grants and expenditures and provide reporting to the church Finance Committee.
- Other responsibilities in consultation with and as assigned by Executive Pastor, Senior Pastor, and/or Staff Parish Relations Committee.
IV. Collaboration and Shared Mission:
- Identify, develop, and do whatever needs to be done to further the mission and ministry of Myers Park United Methodist Church, including intentional alignment and coordination of the Music Ministry with the overall mission and ministry of Myers Park United Methodist Church.
- Participate in weekly check-in meetings and all worship planning meetings.
- Coordinate worship participation with other Ministry Areas, including Children, Youth, Missions, and Congregational Care.
Contact/How to Apply
Please send a letter of interest and complete resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.