Gethsemane Lutheran Church
- Type of Position: Part-Time
- Date Posted: September 1, 2021
Gethsemane Lutheran Church is accepting applications for the position of Interim Director of Music Ministry. The position is half time (20 hours per week, with flexible working times). Compensation is commensurate with experience.
Gethsemane has more than 20 engaged instrumentalists and vocalists participating in an adult choir, an experienced bell choir (with its own director), and a contemporary band. The scope of music is wide, from Renaissance to traditional to contemporary. Gethsemane’s musical instruments include a Bunn=Minnick pipe organ, a mid-sized grand piano from Charles R. Walter Co., and a two-manual harpsicord.
- Play or direct music for one Sunday-morning worship service (9:30 a.m.) each week and for additional services, such as at Christmas and during Holy Week. Lead the adult choir, the contemporary band, soloists, and instrumentalists, as applicable for each worship service.
- Select music for all worship services, including preludes, postludes, and selected portions of the liturgy, in cooperation with the pastor, the worship committee, and the director of the bell choir.
- Administer Gethsemane’s music library, including compliance with all copyright regulations for printed, projected, or performed music. Coordinate with the Parish Secretary to ensure the timely production of printed and projected music and acknowledgments for worship services, and for printed and electronic communication with the congregation.
- Lead the adult choir in weekly rehearsals (currently held Thursday evenings) and in rehearsals just prior to worship services.
- The Interim Director of Music Ministries has the right of first refusal as lead musician (with supplementary compensation) for weddings and funerals held at Gethsemane.
- Proficiency as a pianist, organist, and choir director.
- Strong organizational skills, flexibility, and ability to work well in a team environment.
- Familiarity with the Lutheran liturgy.
- Proficiency in recruiting and nurturing choir members and instrumentalists.
Description of Pipe Organ:
- Gethsemane’s pipe organ was built by The Bunn=Minnick Company of Columbus, OH, and was installed in Gethsemane’s sanctuary in 1974.
- The 1974 organ was refurbished and enlarged by The Bunn=Minnick Company in 2000.
- Specifications of the 2000 organ include: 3 manuals, 33 ranks, 2,018 pipes, and a new three-manual Bunn=Minnick Console, constructed to the standards of the American Guild of Organists.
- Further specifications are available upon request.
Contact/How to Apply
Please submit your application to Diane Gutgesell, Gethsemane’s Parish Secretary, either in written or electronic form. She will confirm receipt of your application. Please include your address, telephone number, and e-mail address with your application. Send your application to:
Diane Gutgesell, Parish Secretary
Gethsemane Lutheran Church
35 E. Stanton Avenue
Columbus, OH 43214
Following receipt of your application, you will be contacted by a member of Gethsemane’s search committee, who will inform you of any additional information or supporting materials that Gethsemane requires to complete your application. The selection process also will be described at this time.
The Interim Director of Music Ministry is a temporary, salaried position. The position currently is open, and Gethsemane is eager to fill it. Gethsemane also is searching for a permanent replacement for our retiring Director of Music Ministry. Subject to the applicant’s wishes, we expect that Gethsemane’s Interim Director of Music Ministry will be a candidate for the Director of Music Ministry position.