First United Methodist Church
Fort Smith, AR
- Type of Position: Full-Time
- Education Requirement: Bachelor's
- Date Posted: August 16, 2021
Find a home in Fort Smith, AR, a small city in a beautiful part of the country with excellent schools, a growing economy, a university, a medical school, and active cultural life. Full-time position in a large, vibrant downtown United Methodist Church with 179-year history.
Requirements: Exceptional organ/piano skills; ability to organize, plan, and communicate; be a team member, and inspire all ages in Christian service.
Three services weekly: Sunday 8:30 a.m. in chapel with 2 manual tracker action Visser-Rowland; 11:10 a.m. in sanctuary with 3 manual, 44 rank electromagnetic Quimby; and 5:30 p.m. Wednesday prayer service. Directing handbell choirs and children's choirs also included in this position, as is accompanying all worship services, funerals and weddings.
Salary range $50-80K with benefits. Position available June 1, 2022.
Full Job Description:
- Provide organ or piano accompaniment for worship services, weddings, and funerals.
- Lead a robust program of traditional church music, including adult choir, handbells, children's music.
- Work with the senior minister and staff in fulfilling the goals of the mission of the church.
- Lead an excellent adult choir for traditional worship. This includes working with choral director, planning anthems in advance, selecting new music, recruiting choir members, and accompanying choral pieces on organ or piano.
- Accompany traditional worship services on organ or piano. (Currently this includes 8:30 a.m. Chapel service and 11:10 a.m. Sanctuary service on Sundays and 5:30 p.m. Chapel prayer service on alternate Wednesdays)
- Accompany funerals at the church or funeral home.
- Accompany weddings at the church. This includes meeting and/or working with families to choose appropriate music.
- Lead excellent program of handbell music, currently including Ladybells, Chancel ringers, and children's chimes/bells. This includes selection of music.
- Lead excellent program of children's music, including children's choirs, Vacation Bible School assistance, summer Music Camp, and Christmas Program.
- Engage and empower volunteers to participate and lead in music ministries.
Other Functions and Duties
- Maintain libraries for choir, handbell, and children's music.
- Communicate consistently with all constituents abouts events, schedules, rehearsals, etc., in the music ministry.
- Coordinate social events and support activities for music ministry participants.
- Provide for maintenance and tuning of all musical instruments.
- Coordinate occasional special music events in support of special emphases in church.
- Coordinate church participation in occasional community musical events, such as Chorale.
- Develop musical opportunities for youth (grades 6-12).
- Encourage and develop special talent in young people (solos, ensembles, etc.).
- Meet weekly with the church staff to coordinate ministry plans.
- Serve as a member of the Administrative Board and give or provide for regular reports on Music Ministries.
- Publicize opportunities and events through newsletter articles, bulletin announcements, social media, and other means.
- Prepare a budget for Music Ministries annually for submission to the Finance Committee.
- Participate in at least one continuing education event per year to keep up with developments and best practices in music ministries.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Senior Pastor or Executive Associate Pastor.
- College degree in music or related field.
- Experience working full-time with Music ministries in large church setting.
- Demonstrated ability to use and understand basic computer programs and social media.
- Skill set: Demonstrate excellence in musical performance and leadership.
- Integrity: Act consistently with Christian principles—positive, professional, and appropriately confidential.
- Organization: Organize a highly diverse set of duties and to accomplish responsibilities in a timely manner.
- Initiative: Conceive, plan, and implement programs without daily supervision.
- Dependability: Work independently to initiate and perform tasks without constant supervision.
- Personal Relations: Maintain harmonious relations with staff, volunteers, and church members.
- Communication: Articulate and promote the vision for the music ministry effectively.
Contact/How to Apply
Send resume to: Rev. Dr. William O. "Bud" Reeves, 200 North 15th Street, Fort Smith, AR 72901 or firstname.lastname@example.org.