Cumberland Presbyterian Church
- Type of Position: Part-Time
- Experience Requirement: At least 2 years
- Education Requirement: Bachelor's (preferred)
- Date Posted: June 24, 2021
The Cumberland Presbyterian Church of Germantown, TN, is seeking a part-time Director of Music. CPCG is a small church located at 2385 Riverdale Road. The choir ranges from 10 to 20 persons on any given Sunday. All voices have experience with choral singing and every musical part is represented. Choir rehearsal is on Wednesday nights, but that is negotiable.
Job Summary: Responsible for overseeing all the musical aspects of worship including choirs, accompanists, and other music groups for worship services.
Reports to: Senior Pastor
- Work with the Senior Pastor to plan the music programs for congregational worship at all worship services.
- Direct the music programs for congregational worship including special services not on Sunday mornings.
- Direct the adult choir for Sunday morning worship, including selection of music, rehearsal, and presentation. Note: No choir rehearsals during June and July; plan special music for Sunday morning worship services for those months.
- Work with children's choir (if there is one) to coordinate music for worship services.
- Work with the pianist/organist to coordinate music for choir rehearsals, Sunday morning worship services and other services outside of Sunday morning.
- Work with the pianist/organist, soloists and special instrumentalists as needed for special programs and presentations.
- Act in an advisory capacity to the Worship Ministry.
- Education: High school diploma or equivalent required. College education with a degree in music or equivalent work experience preferred.
- Experience: Minimum of 2 years experience directing music of any type. Experience in a church setting preferred.
- Knowledge: Knowledge of music and musical presentation. Knowledge of sacred music.
- Skills: Musical skills specific to directing a choir. Leadership skills. Interpersonal skills. Organizational skills.
- Abilities: Ability to work well with people of all different backgrounds and abilities. Ability to rehearse for optimal presentation during worship. Ability to work with soloists and special accompanists. Ability to attend regular choir rehearsals and Sunday morning worship services. Ability to select music appropriate to the worship of the church in the Presbyterian and Reformed tradition.
- Vacation: Two Sundays of paid vacation per year. This also assumes time off from two choir practices.
- Sick Leave: One Sunday or practice per year.
- No compensation for unused sick leave at the termination of employment.
Evaluation: The Senior Pastor and the Church Session will conduct a quarterly performance review.
Hours: 10-15 hours/week (not to exceed 15 hours).
Salary: $8,000-$12,000 annually based on experience and education.
Contact/How to Apply
Send resumes, cover letter and references to:
Reverend Peggy Jean Craig
c/o Cumberland Presbyterian Church of Germantown
2385 Riverdale Road
Germantown, TN 38138
Or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.