Avon Lake United Church of Christ
Avon Lake, OH
- Type of Position: Full-Time or Part-Time
- Education Requirement: Bachelor's (Master's preferred)
- Date Posted: May 17, 2021
The Director of Music Ministries will develop and implement the overall vision, mission and goals for the music ministry of the Avon Lake UCC, in keeping with the church’s culture and theological approach. The Director will work closely with the Senior Minister, the Associate Minister, and appropriate lay leadership to create worship that is meaningful to as many participants as possible, engaging as many different volunteers as possible, and providing a vibrant and eclectic blend of music.
In addition to sharing his/her own musical gifts, the Director will oversee and provide direction to the other music staff, including working with the Personnel Committee on job descriptions and reviews. When there are openings for other music staff, the Director will be closely involved in advertising for open positions and interviewing candidates.
- Plan and direct music for all worship services and special church events, live and/or online, all in collaboration with clergy and appropriate lay leadership. Includes but is not limited to: special music for Christmas Eve, CrossTraining (Wednesday evening programming 12 weeks per year), Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Easter. Weddings, funerals and memorial services. (Usually there is additional compensation for providing music for weddings, funerals and memorial services. Sometimes the Director of Music Ministry will be asked to help coordinate music for these special services.)
- Bring out the best in all musicians (staff and volunteers), according to their individual abilities, providing a safe and nurturing atmosphere for creative and spiritual expression and growth.
- Oversee all musical groups in the church and develop new groups.
- Oversee all care and maintenance of church-owned musical instruments.
- Develop and maintain our church music library and supplies.
- Develop relationships with other area musicians; invite guest artists to participate in our worship services and other events.
- Participate in all staff meetings, worship planning meetings, and other meetings as required.
- Manage the music budget in coordination with the Finance Team and the Business Manager.
- Coordinate the usage of rehearsal spaces, sanctuary and chapel.
- Coordinate sound needs for services with the Director of Media and Membership.
- Secure rights as needed. Manage the church’s relationship with CCLI and any other licensing services.
- Communicate promptly and regularly with others on staff including the Office Manager.
- Seek continuing education and networking opportunities, and make such available to other staff and volunteers where appropriate.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Music; Master’s Degree preferred.
- Excellent musical skills (keyboard, conducting, etc.).
- Strong interpersonal, organizational and planning skills.
- Deep knowledge and familiarity with music across a wide range of musical styles.
- Knowledge of current music software.
- Theological and biblical understanding and/or willingness to learn same.
About Avon Lake United Church of Christ:
Avon Lake UCC is a growing congregation in a western suburb of Cleveland. Currently we have four full-time staff members: Senior Minister, Associate Minister for Children and Families, Director of Youth Ministries and Membership/Media Coordinator. We worship in a new sanctuary, built in 2005. The sanctuary was built to be a flexible space to accommodate the arts. We host a number of touring groups, including Apollo’s Fire who recently recorded a CD in our sanctuary. During the program year we have two worship services: one at 9 a.m. and one at 11 a.m. We have broadcast our services on local cable for many decades, and have been streaming for a few years. Our members are very involved in local mission and outreach projects.
The United Church of Christ is headquartered in Cleveland, and is considered a liberal and activist church on the national level. Avon Lake UCC is politically diverse, more moderate than the national church. Most of our members grew up in other denominations and are drawn to this congregation for the overall vitality of our programs and the ability to participate in hands-on mission.
Our worship reflects an approach to biblical theology which is both thoughtful and open. We use mostly inclusive language, and work hard to create worship in which every element of the service fits well with the weekly or seasonal theme. We are careful about the words and lyrics we use in worship.
We have four music staff members currently: Organist/Pianist, Choir Director, Band Director and Bell Choir Director. The choir sings at the 9 a.m. service; the band plays at the 11 a.m. service. The bell choir usually plays once a month, slightly more often at the 9 a.m. service. We anticipate that our staff configuration will change after we hire a new Director of Music Ministry, depending upon the skills and talents of the person we hire. The congregation would like to see our worship services include a wider variety of music; they would like to see more members involved in music. The first priority will be to work with senior staff and others to re-vision the music program and to strengthen the choir and band consistent with the new vision. A second priority will be to create more ensembles (not necessarily full-time or year-round), including working with our children and youth musicians.
We have an amount budgeted for this position. For the right candidate, we could go to the top of our range, and then we would negotiate whether the candidate wanted all of the amount to go to compensation, or would prefer some to be designated for benefits.
We are open to part-time or full-time, no less than 30 hours per week (flex hours depending on the time of year).
Contact/How to Apply
Letters of interest and resumes should be sent to Senior Minister Kelly Brill via email at email@example.com.