Marvin United Methodist Church
- Type of Position: Full-Time
- Experience Requirement: At least 5 years
- Education Requirement: Master's
- Date Posted: April 5, 2021
Historic Marvin United Methodist Church (marvinumc.com), a vibrant downtown church with a strong classical tradition located in a beautiful Northeast Texas community of over 100,000, seeks a full time Director of Music and Fine Arts to work with other full and part time music staff in overseeing a large and varied music ministry (all age choirs, handbells, instrumentalists, seasonal and annual concert series) which is vital part of our mission to Call, Equip, and Send disciples of Jesus Christ. Applicants must have a strong spiritual foundation, excellent choral training, and proven administrative ability. Keyboard proficiency preferred. Compensation commensurate with experience.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Oversee the entire traditional music program of the church to ensure all musical offerings are meaningful, spiritually relevant, and of the highest quality.
- Encourage spiritual growth and cultivate community among participants in the traditional music program with emphasis on the Chancel Choir.
- Direct the Chancel Choir and assume responsibility for the direction and/or supervision of all other adult choirs, youth choirs, children’s choirs, hand bells, and related traditional music offerings.
- Recruit, train, and rehearse choir members and/or music team; Guide and motivate singers with varied music backgrounds in proper singing techniques.
- Maintain an active recruitment program to provide acceptable levels of choir membership, soloists, and small ensembles for traditional worship services.
- Develop and utilize lay talent and youth talent from the congregation when appropriate.
- Plan and manage rehearsals, guest artists, and concerts as needed.
- Contract with individual musicians, both from within and without the community, to provide special music as necessary.
- Maintain high profile within the community, recognizing that Marvin Church is strongly ingrained in the Tyler area community. Civic involvement under the aegis of Marvin Church is encouraged, but primary focus on Marvin choirs and music activities is expected.
- Coordinate with sanctuary worship team on a weekly basis to produce the order of worship and bulletins.
- Work with staff, boards, and congregation to build and maintain sponsor and patron relations and ensure the continued success of the Marvin Concert Series.
- Work with designated individuals to coordinate the Mewbourne Choir Enrichment Fund.
- Be a part of the entire staff of the church and participate in staff meetings and staff development days. Seek and develop opportunities to coordinate with other ministry areas.
- Develop an annual budget in order to select, purchase, and maintain music resources within budget guidelines and restrictions.
- Maintain necessary financial data as required by the Finance Department and ensure expenses remain within approved budget guidelines.
- Maintain professional development utilizing the annual continuing education funds. Specific professional development choices are subject to the approval of Executive Pastor and the Staff Parish Relations Committee.
- Maintain regular office hours at church.
- Maintain residence in the Tyler area.
- Perform other duties as assigned by Senior Pastor or Executive Pastor.
- Mature Christian with beliefs compatible with United Methodist doctrine.
- Minimum of Master’s Degree in Music or the equivalent or five years related experience. Degree in Music with special emphasis on choral conducting preferred.
- Worship leading skills and the ability to plan and lead a seamless worship service in a traditional style.
- Significant experience in a church setting with a volunteer choir; large church experience is necessary.
- Proficient accompanying skills.
- Computer skills in Microsoft Office and related software.
- Membership in appropriate professional associations.
A complete job description can be found at marvinumc.com/who-we-are/job-openings.
Contact/How to Apply
Please submit letter of interest and current curriculum vitae by Friday, May 7, 2021, to Music Director Search Team, Marvin UMC, 300 West Erwin, Tyler, Texas 75702; phone: (903) 592-7396; fax: (903) 593-0074; email: email@example.com.