First United Methodist Church
Colorado Springs, CO
- Type of Position: Full-Time
- Experience Requirement: At least 5 years
- Education Requirement: Bachelor's (Master's preferred)
- Date Posted: March 18, 2021
This is a full-time salaried position at the First United Methodist Church, located in downtown Colorado Springs, CO, with employment commencing in July 2021.
The Music Director will oversee all traditional music programs at First United Methodist Church (FUMC) and report to the Senior Pastor. Traditional music programs at the church include choral groups, instrumental ensembles, handbells for youth and adults, and youth and children’s choirs. Other responsibilities will include providing oversight for the Contemporary worship service as well as any other arts-related ministries, including visual arts activities and the church affiliated theater program, First Company.
The Director will lead all aspects of the music program necessary for excellent, spirit‐filled worship, including literature selection and preparation of vocalists and instrumentalists. The Director will occasionally collaborate with contemporary music program directors and support their efforts as needed, along with other arts-related initiatives that may occur.
Funding is provided for support personnel, which in the past has included a full-time music administrative assistant and part-time staff members including leaders of groups such as handbells and other participating groups as needed (for a complete list of ensembles see fumc-cs.org/music--arts). The music staff currently includes Dr. Joseph Galema, a world-class and renowned organist and pedagogue.
The FUMC has a long-established tradition of high-quality music presentations and the church's leadership believes that an excellent music program for all ages has been and continues to be a critical factor in the growth, vitality, and spiritual life of the church and the community. The church houses the largest pipe organ in the southern part of the state and has a strong history of support for the art of organ performance. The high caliber of the FUMC music program has attracted many talented amateur as well as semi-professional and professional musicians; as a result, the FUMC's adult, youth, and children’s ensembles have become an integral part of the musical and spiritual life of the Colorado Springs area, while providing a concert venue for some of the area's premier musical organizations.
Colorado Springs is often mentioned as one of the most desirable places to live and is a thriving community at the foot of the Rocky Mountains with the majestic Pikes Peak as a backdrop for the community. With its healthy climate, beautiful environment, spectacular vistas and a robust community support for the arts, Colorado Springs provides a lively, diverse, and enjoyable lifestyle with great potential for continued growth and a long-term living commitment.
- Strong Christian beliefs with a passion for sharing the love of Jesus Christ through music.
- A knowledge of Christian liturgy, theology, and history, including that of the United Methodist tradition.
- Extensive experience and skill in conducting both vocal and instrumental ensembles.
- Demonstrable and effective clarity in instruction, excellent baton technique and efficient rehearsal strategies.
- A Bachelor's or Master's degree in Music from a recognized institution or its equivalent.
- A minimum of five (5) years' experience in a liturgical music leadership position is preferred.
- An ability to lead and manage people and teams with integrity and humility.
- Work with and attract all age groups, with an understanding that youth and children's choirs are essential in building a strong, family-oriented church.
- Collaborate with clergy and organist to select music consistent with the message of the worship service.
- Organize and conduct periodic large choral events with orchestra, organ, and handbells that are open to the community.
- Help bridge generational and cultural differences by selecting a variety of musical styles for worship services, including classical, gospel, spiritual, and others as the spirit leads.
- Maintain some of the longstanding traditions of the FUMC music program, including the annual Christmas Concert and an annual youth choir tour.
- Inaugurate new and creative programs and events based on the distinctive and special talents and long-term goals of the successful candidate.
- Oversee the hiring and use of orchestral and instrumental ensembles in worship services; including encouraging children and youth to participate in instrumental ensembles and performances.
- Recruit, develop, and equip volunteers who will support the music program and worship services.
- Manage the music program budget.
Compensation for this full-time position will be in the $75,000-$85,000 salary range annually and will be negotiable and commensurate with the accepted candidate's level of education and experience. FUMC will provide health insurance and funds for continuing education and professional development.
More information on First United Methodist Church can be found at fumc-cs.org.
More information about the city of Colorado Springs can be found at coloradosprings.gov.
Contact/How to Apply
If you would like to be considered as a candidate for this position, please send:
- a letter of application that refers to your interest in this position.
- a copy of your C.V./resume.
- the addresses/contact information for three (3) references who are aware of your qualifications for this position.
Materials should be sent to email@example.com. Applications will be considered in the order in which they are received. Applicants under consideration may be asked to send an unedited video with an example(s) of their work as a conductor.