Cypress Lake United Methodist Church
Fort Myers, FL
- Type of Position: Full-Time
- Experience Requirement: At least 5 years
- Education Requirement: Bachelor's (Master's preferred)
- Date Posted: March 12, 2021
Cypress Lake United Methodist Church is a large worshipping community in the Florida Conference of The United Methodist Church, with over 1,000 in worship. The Church is blessed with a talented lay leadership team and an exciting staff. The Director of Music and Traditional Worship reports to the Senior Pastor and is responsible for the development and leadership of the traditional worship music ministry in a way that is consistent with the mission, vision, values, and theology of the United Methodist Church.
Essential Job Functions:
- Select and plan music for Sunday morning and special services, which include Christmas Eve, Holy Week services, funerals, weddings, and inter-faith gatherings.
- Present two choral presentations each year (Advent and Lent) with full choir and chamber orchestra; narrators, soloists, dancers as desired.
- Participate in the creative planning of the Sunday and special services with the Senior Pastor and others on the worship planning team, and the Sunday tech team.
- Provide opportunities for musicians to improve their musical skills.
- Recruit, equip, motivate, supervise and shepherd choir members and musicians. Includes fostering a sense of belonging within the musical groups, and providing numerous leadership positions within each organization, for the efficient functioning of the group and establishing community.
- Develop choirs, individuals and ensembles capable of providing music for worship services and special events.
- Direct outreach events into the community via performances at other organizations as appropriate.
- Keep all music licenses current for the church. Maintain membership in professional church music organizations, such as The Fellowship of United Methodists in Music & Worship Arts.
- Maintain a strong prayer base for the music ministry.
- Communicate faithfully with the Senior Pastor and staff.
- Participate in the life and ministry of the church.
Educational, Background & Experience Requirements:
- Professing Christian.
- Ability to shepherd volunteer musicians in the Christian life.
- Love and respect for people.
- Approved musical skills and competence.
- Ability to organize, coordinate, and motivate musicians and technical team members.
- Sense of humor and positive attitude.
- Strong team player with the staff and congregation.
- Committed to the church's vision, leadership, and people.
- Dependable, responsible, self-motivated and creative.
- Bachelor's degree in Music, Music Education or Sacred Music (Master's preferred) with emphasis in conducting.
- Minimum five years experience in church-related setting, ideally a United Methodist congregation, or commitment to learn about the theology, worship practices and polity of The UMC.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Salary: $55,000-$58,000
- Benefits: Health insurance (with 80/20 employer match for employee after 90-day probationary period), group life policy, and employer-matched retirement available after 12-month probationary period. Dental, Vision, and supplemental insurance opportunities available.
Contact/How to Apply
Resumes can be sent by email to Cyndy Cook, Church Administrator, at firstname.lastname@example.org. The position will be open until filled.