First Presbyterian Church
Winter Haven, FL
- Type of Position: Full-Time
- Experience Requirement: At least 2 years
- Education Requirement: Bachelor's
- Date Posted: March 9, 2020
First Presbyterian Church of Winter Haven is accepting letters of interest and resumes from persons interested in the position of Director of Music Ministries.
Music is a fundamental element of worship and of critical importance to the leaders and members of our congregation. The Director of Music Ministries position will become open this coming July upon the retirement of our current Director. This is a full-time position with benefits. The Director is part of the leadership team and plays a significant role in the Church’s services and operations. The Director of Music Ministries must be able to demonstrate proficiency and/or the skills consistent with the following competencies.
- The Director must have a strong Christian faith and be capable of using music to help individuals grow closer to and strengthen their relationship with Christ. He/she must be able to lead worship through music.
- The Director must be proficient on piano and organ. A high level of competency in sightreading is required.
- The Director must be skilled in vocal technique instruction at all experience and age levels. She/he will have the ability to utilize a variety of musical styles and instruments, incorporating the wide musical talents of the congregation into worship. The ability to work directly and comfortably with all age groups is essential.
- The Director must be able to conduct choirs and ensembles independently as well as from the piano and organ. A firm understanding and application of rehearsal techniques is expected.
- The Director must be competent in general administrative duties including the ability to work with a variety of people, show strong organizational skills and a basic understanding of budget and fiscal management, and effectively communicate orally and in writing.
About the Church
First Presbyterian Church began in 1886 when a small band of dedicated charter members dreamed of a Presbyterian Church in Winter Haven. Over the next 134 years, these faithful few were joined by other disciples of Jesus Christ, and First Presbyterian emerged as a vibrant church where mission and ministry abound.
Over the years, ministry has been enhanced by the expansion of members, staff and facilities. In 1966, a Christian Education Building was constructed just north of the sanctuary building. Since then, a Girl Scout House was attached to the Boy Scout House that has been hosting Troop 121 since 1928. In the past two decades, the church expanded ministry opportunities with a community service and recreation facility at the northeast corner of the church property, and a student center at 711 Sixth Street NW that houses the Middle School and Senior High Youth Ministry.
The church’s Christ-centered ministry includes a congregation of over 1,000 members ably led by fifteen elders, fifteen deacons, pastoral, program and support staff members, as well as scores of volunteers.
First Presbyterian Church of Winter Haven is a congregation of the Presbyterian Church (USA), with a strong history of service to God in the local community, the Presbytery of Tampa Bay and around the world.
About the Community
More than 80,000 people choose to live in the greater Winter Haven area taking advantage of its year-round recreation, climate, and central location. The City stretches over 40 square miles, much of which takes the form of sparkling, fun-filled lakes. Winter Haven’s high quality of life is rooted in the natural environment, well maintained parks and recreation facilities, outstanding arts and cultural experiences, and special events that provide countless opportunities for families, neighborhoods and business partners to grow and connect as a unified community.
Downtown Winter Haven recently received the Great Place People’s Choice Award, from the American Planning Association – Florida Chapter. Located in almost the exact geographic center of Florida, Winter Haven is the second largest city, population wise, in Polk County. A vibrant and active downtown hosts live music regularly at just about every corner establishment – and outdoors every Friday evening. The historic Ritz Theatre located in the downtown hosts live theatre productions by the award-winning Theatre Winter Haven. In addition, Winter Haven is the home of LEGOLAND Florida, a 150-acre family destination with more than 50 rides, shows and attractions geared for families with children ages 2 to 12.
The Winter Haven community cares about its schools and children. Businesses and individuals alike are involved in our public education system and its goals, through advocacy, community engagement, and collaborative partnerships to assure schools are unequaled in quality, relevance and student performance. Winter Haven has 11 elementary schools, four middle schools, and two high schools with options for magnet, charter, parochial and private schools. Winter Haven is also home to Polk State College (PSC), which offers over 20,000 students a year cost effective and affordable four-year degrees.
Contact/How to Apply
Letters of interest and resumes will be accepted through May 1, 2020, and should be submitted to the following physical mail address or emailed accordingly:
Chair, Director of Music Ministries Search Committee
First Presbyterian Church
637 6th Street NW
Winter Haven FL 33881