Trinity United Methodist Church
- Type of Position: Full-Time
- Education Requirement: Bachelor's (Master's preferred)
- Date Posted: February 4, 2020
Trinity United Methodist Church in Tallahassee, Florida, is seeking a Director of Music to direct and develop the various musical groups within the church and to coordinate with the ministers to provide meaningful worship experiences for congregants and visitors. Trinity United Methodist Church recently celebrated 195 years of ministry to Florida’s Capital city. The church is located downtown between two first class universities, both of whom are renowned for their colleges of music.
The music ministries of Trinity Church rely entirely on volunteers to perform in three Sunday morning worship services. The church enjoys a broad range of music including classical, gospel, jazz, and modern Contemporary Christian genres. The Director supervises, directly or indirectly, all choirs (adult, youth, children), handbell choirs, chimes, and steel pan groups. The full-time church organist reports to the Director. The Director also supervises a part-time music intern and a part-time leader of the children’s choir, but does not directly supervise the praise and worship band. There are additional musical groups within the church that are led by volunteers, including a full orchestra, woodwind, brass, and string ensembles. Volunteers also lead the music in select worship services throughout the year.
This is a full-time salaried position with benefits. Trinity Church offers a competitive salary between $55,000 and $60,000 that is commensurate with experience. Benefits include:
- Paid vacation leave
- Paid sick leave
- Group Health Insurance
- Pension plan eligibility after one continuous year of employment at Trinity Church
- One week of paid professional development annually
- Bachelor’s degree in music required (preferably with choral conducting emphasis); Master’s degree in music preferred
- Significant experience in directing volunteer choral ensembles
- Significant experience in planning and leading traditional worship
- Keyboard skills desired, but not required. Must have sufficient keyboard (piano) skills to effectively lead rehearsals
- Demonstrable recruitment skills
- Broad historical knowledge of sacred choral music
- Fluency in Finale or Sibelius, MS Office, multi-media worship and other software
- Knowledge of church audio and video technology systems
Duties and Responsibilities:
In collaboration with the ministerial staff, plan, coordinate, and implement the overall vision of the music and worship ministries of the congregation. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Maintain an annual schedule of worship participation for all performing ensembles.
- Conduct the adult Chancel Choir, Trinity Ringers, Heavenly Chimes, Pans of Praise, Sacred Pans.
- Schedule concerts and events that build a bridge to the community.
- Supervise the organist, intern, and children’s/youth choir director.
- Supervise maintenance and expansion of music library, ensuring full compliance with copyright law.
- Formulate and maintain the Music Ministry budget.
- Coordinate with the Director of Communications to produce public announcements for special concerts and events.
- Oversee maintenance of principal musical instruments.
- Maintain an open, positive relationship with the faculty and administration of the College of Music at the Florida State University (FSU) and the Department of Music at Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University (FAMU), actively seeking collaborative projects with both entities.
- Participate in church staff meetings, Music Committee, Church Council. Participate in other meetings as requested by the ministers Demonstrate a willingness to create new performing groups from within the congregation as warranted.
- Attend workshops, college classes, music festivals, private lessons, etc. which will enable the Director of Music to grow professionally and better serve the church.
The Director of Music must be a committed Christian, and must lead in a way that supports the mission, vision, and ministries of the United Methodist Church.
Contact/How to Apply