First United Methodist Church
Corpus Christi, TX
- Type of Position: Full-Time
- Education Requirement: Bachelor's (advanced degree preferred)
- Experience Requirement: At least 3 years
- Date Posted: October 16, 2019
Overlooking beautiful Corpus Christi Bay, First UMC is an historical downtown church known for its well-established music program. We seek a highly skilled, experienced, and creative team player to lead our music, worship, and arts ministries into a bright future, building on existing strengths and respecting tradition, while innovating to reach new people for Christ.
The Director of Music, Worship and the Arts reports to the Senior Pastor to organize, supervise and prepare a comprehensive, dynamic and multi-faceted ministry of music and arts relating to all worship services and other areas of the church as needed.
- Bachelor's Degree in music, sacred music or related area.
- Demonstrated proficiency in choral directing.
- Ability to provide service music for choirs, congregational singing, hand bell choirs and other instrumental and vocal ensembles.
- Knowledge of audio and visual equipment used in weekly church services.
- Ability to work with clergy as team member in organizing and conducting services.
- Supervisory experience for a minimum of three years.
- Shows commitment to the values, missions, and vision of First United Methodist Church.
- Master's or doctoral degree in sacred music or related area.
- Experience performing and/or teaching in one or more of the following areas: organ, keyboard, hand bells, and/or other instruments.
- Knowledge of traditional mainline protestant songs and rituals.
- Knowledge of current trends in sacred/church music, including the integration of world music.
1. General Duties & Requirements:
- Direct Chancel Choir, including music selection and resourcing.
- Recruit performers for the various choirs and instrumental ensembles.
- Organize, administer, and prepare all music personnel (paid and volunteer), choirs and other details related to all church services.
- Provide spiritual guidance and background for those involved in the ministry of music.
- Oversee all details related to music and arts in worship services.
- Recruit volunteer choir members and provide spiritual leadership as a function of the choral program (i.e. weekly prayer assignments, weekly devotional assignments, Prayers and Celebrations)
- Recruit and supervise instructional personnel assisting with various choir and music groups:
- Chancel Choir
- Youth Choirs
- Children's Choirs
- Handbell Choirs
- Other Instrumental Groups
- Coordinate and manage use of visual (PowerPoint) and audio (microphones) in worship services.
- Plan and facilitate special seasonal programs (i.e. Messiah, Cantata, Outreach Camps)
- Coordinate with Communication Director to advertise music programs and special services through use of bulletins, Tower Tidings, local media and other methods of communication.
- Serve as music resource for weddings, funerals and other program areas of the church.
- Responsible for budget and purchase requests relating to the music ministry.
- Maintain certification through Safe Gatherings.
- Notify the Senior Pastor when a congregation member needs special attention.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor/pastor.
2. Administrative Committees:
- Staff liaison to the Worship & Music Committee.
- Attend Church Council and other committees and task forces as needed.
3. Property and Equipment:
- Supervise maintenance of all musical instruments including organs, pianos, handbells, drums, harps and any other musical instruments owned by the church.
- Oversee and maintain currency in music library.
4. Personnel Supervision:
- Supervise music associates, organists, pianists, music administrative assistants and all paid and volunteer music and worship leadership.
Contact/How to Apply