All Saints' United Methodist Church
- Type of Position: Full-Time
- Experience Requirement: At least 1 year
- Education Requirement: Advanced degree preferred
- Date Posted: June 5, 2019
All Saints' United Methodist Church (ASUMC) is a growing, active, multi-generational congregation of 275+ people, planted 12 years ago in the Brier Creek area of Raleigh, NC. In order to be most effective in fulfilling our calling of "gathering people into communion with Jesus Christ," ASUMC is seeking a faith-filled, creative, flexible and energetic Minister of Music and Liturgy to oversee and nurture the worshipping life of the congregation and the discipleship that grows from this worshipping life.
Musical Worship at All Saints'
A foundational belief at All Saints' is that liturgy is the work of the people. Each week we are offered the opportunity to participate in the liturgy and respond as a congregation to God’s work in and through Jesus Christ with a diversity of musical expressions. All Saints’ seeks to further cultivate a musical worship that is intentional, cohesive and vibrant, drawing on music that offers theological richness, deep and diverse spirituality, and singable tunes. The community of All Saints’ has many gifted musicians, including the members of our Music Team. This position will further cultivate their gifts as well as draw out the broader participation of our congregation.
- A vibrant and growing faith in Jesus Christ with a desire to model this life of faith and learn from others
- Positive attitude and excellent socialization skills
- Strong desire to develop and work with teams
- Passion for facilitating the growth of music ministry at All Saints’ both broadly and deeply into the life of the congregation and beyond
- Desire to become an active participant in the daily life of All Saints’ UMC
- Ability to orchestrate and arrange music for use during worship
- Organized with ability to prioritize time and attention
- Experience with social media as a tool for communication, worship arts software and platforms, and some additional graphic design
- Bachelor's degree in music or equivalent with advanced theological degree preferred
- At least 1 year experience of leading music in a worship setting
- Proficiency in directing the Music Team, basic keyboard skills (accomplished pianist preferred), and a broad knowledge of a wide range of liturgical musical styles from ancient to contemporary
This position is responsible for planning, coordinating, and leading musical worship on Sunday and within other worship gatherings. This person is also responsible for recruiting, training, and leading the many musicians and worship leaders in our congregation.
The ideal candidate will have strong leadership, teaching and team building skills, with a proven track record of creating passion and building momentum within an organization. This person should embody an innovative spirit and be someone who enjoys shaping culture, creating beauty, capturing imaginations, and deepening discipleship through worship and music.
Worship Planning & Creative Visioning (25%)
- Collaborating with pastors, staff and lay people to envision, plan, and evaluate worship services appropriate to the liturgical season
- Selecting music appropriate for the liturgy and church season
- Developing full and active liturgical participation of the congregation through education and formation
- Ability to work out of the United Methodist Hymnal and the Upper Room Worshipbook, incorporating traditional, contemporary, ancient and global music
- Arranging for the hiring of instrumentalists for special services or offerings
Leading and Teaching Music (50%)
- Seeking creative ways to establish, nurture and share music as an act of discipleship, including for example, through social media.
- Directing and/or accompanying weekly worship and special services (including multiple services on Sunday and weekly preschool services).
- Leading the Music Team, including leading weekly rehearsal and fostering a community of love, support, discipleship, and joy. Within rehearsal and beyond, communicating how the music is connected to the particular worship service, liturgical season, etc.
- Working with children and youth, seeking ways to nurture their musical gifts and incorporating them into worshipping life of the church.
- Leading the Music Team and congregation into missional opportunities within our community.
- Recruiting, coordinating and supporting all liturgical ministries, including music, visual arts, audio visual, worship servants, etc.
- Overseeing the budget for Worship Ministries as well as the care of musical equipment and resources
- Full-time position reporting to Lead Pastor
- 4 weeks of vacation leave per calendar year (includes 4 Sundays off a year) — accrual is prorated in first year
- 13 paid holidays
- Pension contributions begin after 12 months of employment
- Salary commensurate with experience
- First round of application review begins summer 2019
Contact/How to Apply
- Cover Letter
- Resume, including three references
- Video of candidate playing the piano and singing (two songs)