Dayspring United Methodist Church
- Type of Position: Part-Time or Full-Time
- Experience Requirement: At least 5 years
- Education Requirement: Bachelor's (Master's preferred)
- Date Posted: April 30, 2019
Dayspring UMC in Tempe, AZ, is a Reconciling Congregation: all people, regardless of age, sex, race, color, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, economic status or ability are welcome into the full life of our congregation. We embody Progressive Christianity. A large, vibrant congregation, Dayspring offers inspiring worship experiences with a variety of musical styles and an intellectually honest presentation of the faith. There are many opportunities at Dayspring to serve and engage the wider society, working for the common good. For more information about our church, see dayspring-umc.org and livestream.com/dayspringtempe.
20-25 hours a week or full-time; depending on job structure and responsibilities. Salary commensurate with responsibility and experience.
The ideal candidate for this position will:
- Engage with and provide leadership for all aspects of Dayspring's musical expressions;
- Minister to the musical and spiritual needs of the congregation, musicians, and wider community;
- Ability to lead a variety of musical expressions to include major choral works, Gospel anthems, traditional anthems, and modern music with a variety of musical instruments;
- Create opportunities for all skill levels and ages of musicians and direct festival events to include multigenerational choirs (e.g., Palm Sunday, MLK Sunday, Thanksgiving Sunday, etc.);
- Display a vibrancy and integrity of faith in their work;
- Be skilled in human relations with the ability to interact with a variety of people in a pleasant, faith-based manner;
- Exercise tact, patience, discretion and confidentiality;
- Be a team player, imaginative, forward thinking, supportive and growth-minded;
- Be organized and timely with communication and implementation of their plan for the music ministry;
- Collaborate with the pastoral staff, music staff, volunteers and office staff;
- Delegate without abdicating responsibility.
Key job responsibilities:
- Provide an inspiring musical experience for the congregation;
- Recruit, rehearse and direct the Celebration Singers (9:00 a.m. service choir) and the Dayspring Chorale (10:30 a.m. service choir) August – May, and Summer choir; enhance participant musical ability and sense of community;
- Oversee and schedule worship music, including but not limited to, Adult, Multi-Generational, Children’s, Youth, Bell Choirs, Summer Choir, Soloists and Instrumental music;
- Collaborate with pastors to plan weekly liturgy, as well as special services (e.g. Christmas Eve, Lenten Services, monthly Taizé, etc.);
- Provide worship service music each week to the office by Wednesday noon.
Experience: Minimum of 5 years' adult choral conducting with experience in a church setting preferred.
Education: Minimum of a bachelor's degree in a music field requirement with a master's degree preferred.
Additional salary opportunity (organist).
Contact/How to Apply
- Cover letter introducing yourself to the search team
- Statement of your personal philosophy, direction and values relating to this position
- Curriculum Vitae
- 3 references with phone number and email address
- Video link of applicant conducting and/or rehearsing an ensemble
Review of applications begins on May 24, 2019.