Trinity United Methodist Church
New Cumberland, PA
- Type of Position: Full-Time
- Education Requirement: Bachelor's preferred
- Experience Requirement: 3-5 years preferred
- Date Posted: April 3, 2019
Trinity United Methodist Church, New Cumberland, PA is an evangelical church with approximately 500 members located near the capital city of Harrisburg, PA. The church has several active choirs with approximately 20% of the congregation active in the music program. Some choirs are currently directed by volunteers. The Minister of Music leads the music ministry by administering and producing all aspects of music for the church. This includes recruitment, training, and leading a varied ministry of music for the congregation. This person plans, produces, and provides music programs that create community, educate, and give glory to God. This position has overall responsibility for all aspects of the music program at Trinity UMC.
Hours: This is a full-time position: The actual hours worked are coordinated with the Senior Pastor.
Direct Supervisor: This position is supervised on day-to-day basis by the Senior Pastor
Supervisory Responsibilities: The Minister of Music has supervisory/leadership responsibility for all choirs within the church. He/she will direct two adult choirs, a youth choir, and be responsible for a praise band. The Minister of Music will work with volunteers who direct the children and handbell choir.
Education and Experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree in music is preferred.
- 3-5 years of experience in church music is preferred.
Skills, Abilities, Competencies:
- Proficient in piano, organ and service playing. Skills should be demonstrated during an audition.
- Understanding of the voice. Demonstrates good rehearsal techniques and conducting skills.
- Excellent communication skills and strong interpersonal and team building skills.
- Ability to read music, sing, and play with accurate pitch and rhythm.
- Knowledge of appropriate church music (classical, contemporary, folk, gospel) and the role of music in supporting and enhancing worship.
- Knowledge of basic music theory.
- Ability to direct the choir while playing a keyboard instrument.
- Ability to work with persons of all ages and musical abilities.
- Strategic and inclusive thinking to incorporate music in all church activities and aspects of worship.
- Ability to innovate and bring creativity while maintaining empathy and caring for the choir members and staff.
- Strong administrative and organizational skills. Excellent planning, scheduling, and execution skills.
- Willingness to contribute and be receptive to new ideas that enhance the overall worship experience.
- Demonstrates leadership abilities and the ability to function in the role with emotional maturity and sound judgment.
- Strong ability to relate to other staff as well as with the congregation.
- Effective experience as the leader of music in a worship setting.
- Recognized Christian character, personal competence, integrity, and commitment to the church.
- Knowledge of the United Methodist church structure, musical heritage, program and mission would be helpful.
- A commitment to continuing education.
- Fosters and creates communication and community within the music ministry of Trinity UMC and a philosophy of music in the service of worship.
- Schedules and provides for music at all worship services in collaboration with the Senior Pastor, volunteer directors, instrumentalists, and choir members.
- Serves as the primary organist or pianist at both Sunday morning services throughout the year, and at extra services thru the church year such as Christmas concerts, Christmas Eve, community services, Ash Wednesday, and Holy Week services.
- Directs and rehearses various choirs; trains choirs in appropriate techniques and appreciation of diverse music for worship.
- Collaborates, oversees, and supports volunteers with resources, encouragement, and good communications.
- Leads efforts to recruit new choir members.
- Develops new choirs and ensembles as needed to enhance the ministry.
- Consults with the Pastor in selecting music based on worship themes and scripture.
- Assists the congregation in expanding its singing ability and worship music appreciation.
- Provides music for Trinity Church member funerals, memorial services, and weddings. Consults with the Pastor and families in the selection of appropriate music for said services.
- Works with Vacation Bible School, and Summer in the Sonshine Leaderships, to provide appropriate music for these events.
- Organizes and supervises the maintenance of the music library.
- Communicates effectively to music ministry participants about schedules, expectations and needs.
- Attends a weekly meeting with Senior Pastor and a monthly staff meeting. Is a member of the Worship Team which meets every other month.
- In collaboration with the finance representatives to the Leadership Team, prepares a budget for the entire music ministry, taking into consideration the needs in the coming and future years.
- Purchases all music-related supplies and instruments in accordance with established budget.
- Arranges the maintenance of musical instruments - organ, pianos, and handbells. When service is expected to be unusually high, discusses with Senior Pastor and Head of the Trustees prior to scheduling.
- Hires guest musicians for specific performances within budgetary provisions.
- Assumes administrative responsibilities associated with the music ministry.
- Searches out and is receptive to the introduction of diverse musical genres, styles, and programming for worship and concerts.
- Provides a missional vision for the music program by scheduling and encouraging our musicians and singers to take the music program out of the building and into the community throughout the year.
- Maintains professional competency by practicing, performing, and attending continuing educational opportunities/workshops.
Benefits: Health Care, UM Pension, Continuing Education Stipend, Vacation, Personal Days, Holidays, and Sick Time
Contact/How to Apply