First Baptist Church of Austin
- Type of Position: Full-Time
- Education Requirement: Master's
- Experience Requirement: 5 years
- Date Posted: March 26, 2019
The position of Minister of Music provides the creative and foundational support of planning, development, and coordination of worship experiences at First Austin. This position serves as the content expert for liturgical, music, and worship resources. This individual reports to the Senior Pastor and works collaboratively with the Senior Pastor, ministerial staff, lay worship leaders, church musicians, administrative staff, choirs, worship committee, and church members. Primary responsibilities including planning, organizing, and directing music and worship resources to provide worship experiences throughout the liturgical year that reflect the First Austin values of diversity and intergenerational involvement in worship.
First Austin: a baptist community of faith is a moderate-progressive baptist congregation. We are a welcoming and affirming community of faith. Our worship is lectionary based, liturgical and leans towards classical but also blends in Taize, Austin’s singer-songwriter feel and musical theater. We have an incredible theater ministry with a full theater offering free shows to Austin. We have a strong choral program and a graded musical education program.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Master’s degree, with either the Master or Undergraduate degree in music or music education
- Education at either a religious college/university or seminary is desirable, but not required
- Experience as a conductor of large and small choirs accompanied by piano, organ, and/or various instrumental ensembles
- Knowledge of Christian worship practices and broad ecumenical knowledge of worship philosophy
- Experience serving as music minister at medium-sized or larger churches (200+ average worship attendance) for a period of at least 5 years
- Mastery of vocal solo, wind or string instrument, piano, or organ is desirable, but not required
- Experience in the teaching of children’s choirs, youth choirs, and handbell ensembles is desired, but not required
- Organizational skills and ability to manage a budget
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan, organize, and coordinate music and liturgy for worship in collaboration with the Senior Pastor, ministerial colleagues, and lay leadership
- Conduct the Sanctuary Choir and other music ensembles as needed
- Supervise the teaching of children’s choirs, youth choirs, and handbell ensembles
- Project and manage an annual budget for the Music Ministry
- Develop long term goals for the Music Ministry
- Recognize and support development of the gifts of church members and encourage participation in the Music Ministry
- Assist with weddings and funerals serving as a music resource
- Provide pastoral care for congregants in collaboration and conjunction with the ministerial staff
- Develop and implement community outreach programs through appropriate music and other art forms and actions
- Oversee the work of the music ministry volunteers, paid musicians, etc.
Contact/How to Apply
For more information, please see our website at fbcaustin.org.