Hickory Grove United Methodist Church
- Type of Position: Part-Time
- Experience Requirement: At least 1 year
- Date Posted: February 13, 2018
Hickory Grove United Methodist Church in Charlotte has an opening for a Music Director. While this position is primarily responsible for traditional worship, HGUMC also enjoys contemporary, African, and Latino services as an integral part of its multi-ethnic mission. You can learn more about us at hickorygroveumc.com.
(Please note that we have an Organist position posted as well. The two positions could be combined for one person possessing both sets of qualifications.)
The requirements for physical presence are:
- Every Sunday from 8:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m., for a brief adult choir rehearsal followed by the traditional service,
- Every Tuesday for a staff meeting from 3:30 p.m. to no later than 4:30 p.m. (some may be missed),
- Every Thursday for adult choir rehearsal from 7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.,
- An occasional committee meeting (e.g., Worship Team),
- Additional services to include Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Christmas Eve, and funerals, and
- Approaching Easter and Christmas, a couple of additional rehearsals are customary.
Beyond these days and times, most duties can be performed outside of church. We estimate the total hours per week including outside preparation to be 20.
Qualifications include the ability to:
- Conduct an adult choir in rehearsal and performance,
- Direct, or oversee volunteers to lead children’s, youth, and handbell choirs (These choirs have been neglected, and we would like to see them restored in some form.),
- Select all vocal music, to include congregational hymns, choir anthems, benedictory responses, and miscellaneous music as needed, all appropriate to a traditional service and aligned with the given scripture and sermon theme,
- Coordinate with the Organist on prelude, offertory, communion, and postlude selections,
- Communicate all music selections to the Office Administrator for inclusion in the weekly service bulletin,
- Prepare PowerPoint slides to guide the congregation through worship,
- Create a packet for the choir and pastors that mirrors the PowerPoint slides that they cannot see projected,
- Recruit soloists and instrumentalists in order to present a richer repertoire,
- Assist in the recruitment, selection, and coaching of other music staff,
- Support the music leaders in the other services (African, Latino, and contemporary), and
- Foster connections between the different services and the greater neighboring community.
At a minimum, we are looking for someone who is in at least his/her junior year of an undergraduate degree in music with choral conducting and ensemble experience, or significant, demonstrable church choir experience that would substitute for formal education. Keyboard proficiency is also highly desired.
The person hired must be legally authorized to work in the United States. The pay range is $18k-20k per year.
Contact/How to Apply