The Lovett School
- Type of Position: Full-Time
- Education Requirement: Bachelor's
- Experience Requirement: At least 5 years
- Date Posted: February 5, 2019
The Lovett School, a coeducational college preparatory school serving students in Kindergarten through Grade 12 in Atlanta, GA, seeks a Middle School and Upper School choral director to start in August 2019. Lovett has a well-established applied lessons Conservatory of Music faculty and a recording studio. This is a 10-month position.
The Lovett School Mission: The Lovett School is a community that seeks to develop young men and women of honor, faith, and wisdom with the character and intellect to thrive in college and in life.
The Lovett School Vision for Learning: Lovett offers experiences that inspire our students to love learning. We encourage them to think critically, communicate effectively, engage creatively, and collaborate purposefully. We provide the opportunities and resources that help our students develop independence and self-direction and extend their learning beyond the walls of the classroom as they grow intellectually, emotionally, physically, aesthetically, morally, and spiritually.
The Lovett School Diversity Mission Statement: The Lovett School celebrates the uniqueness of each individual within an intentionally inclusive, diverse, and welcoming environment. We recognize that our community is enhanced as we seek to appreciate and respect the differences among our students, faculty, staff, parents, and alumni. We are committed to supporting this environment through classroom instruction, professional development, and other curricular and co-curricular programming, and in accordance with our nondiscriminatory policy.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop curriculum and specific lesson plans.
- Read, assess, and analyze music scores.
- Assess and evaluate student performance through videos, recordings, auditions, and performances.
- Choose appropriate music and prepare students for performances.
- Conduct and instruct daily Middle School and Upper School choral rehearsals.
- Seek professional development opportunities to maintain and improve performance and instruction skills.
- Conduct before-school and after-school tutorials as needed.
- Participate in faculty meetings as called.
- Collaborate and communicate effectively with department, families, and community.
- Implement effective character education and classroom management.
- Direct choral sectional rehearsals and coach music in grades 6 through 12.
- Work collaboratively with choral staff and all Fine Arts staff.
Position Requirements (knowledge, skills, and abilities required to perform satisfactorily in the position):
- Bachelor’s degree in Music Education or related field
- Teaching Certificate is encouraged but not required
- Minimum of 5 years of classroom teaching experience
- Thorough knowledge of broad choral literature
- Strong collaborative spirit
- Ability to coach details and finishing of choral music
- Excellent communications skills
- Comprehensive understanding of vocal production
- Excellent conducting skills
- Strong communication, public relations, and interpersonal skills
NOTE: The Lovett School employment process includes a post-offer drug (hair) test and background check. See the employment application for more information.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands from wrist to finger, and talk or hear. The employee is regularly required to stand, walk, and reach with hands. The employee must be able to walk on campus, up/down stairs, and across uneven surfaces and must be able to perform emergency care, if, necessary, on floor, in hallways or tight spaces. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 35 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Contact/How to Apply