St. John Lutheran Church
- Type of Position: Full-Time
- Education Requirement: Bachelor's preferred
- Date Posted: January 23, 2018
St. John Lutheran Church seeks a Full Time Director of Music and Worship Ministries to coordinate all aspects of the music program for a growing, welcoming, multi-generation faith community in Bellville, TX.
Main tasks will be to help to enhance the worship life of the congregation through leadership, performance, and collaborative work with the members of the church, the pastor and staff. Including helping lead worship at all services.
Leadership opportunities include directing church choirs, church musical groups, recruiting and encouraging volunteer musicians. Collaborative opportunities include working with Youth Director on children’s music program, worship planning with the pastor and Worship and Music committee, and envisioning the future of music programs at St. John.
Strong candidates will have skills in organization, planning, written and spoken communication, working well with others, computer and instrumental performance. All candidates will be subject to a criminal background check.
Compensation will be in the range of $30,000-$35,000 per year, with consideration to training and experience. Plus free housing and full benefits.
- Plan and coordinate the entire music program, providing leadership and oversight to all other musicians, choirs and singers.
- Plan with the Pastor(s) the worship services, worship music selection, and other special activities in the congregation.
- Recruit and inspire members in order to help grow and revitalize St. John’s music ministries.
- Schedule all choirs, groups and individuals participating in worship.
- Hold rehearsals and develop choirs, groups, bands and musicians.
- Educate and inspire participants in music ministries, from senior adults to children.
- Work well with all ages, including children and youth musical groups.
- Discern which music is relevant to society and the congregation’s abilities and continue to introduce new music as needed.
- Attend staff meetings and be staff liaison to Worship & Music Committee.
- Determine and submit annual budget for the music and worship programs to church council, and oversee the expenditures of approved budget.
- Ensure the maintenance of the music library, all church owned instruments, and the sound system.
- Work with Pastor(s) and Worship Cmte on worship calendar.
- Continue to maintain musical competency and skills through practice and attending continuing education opportunities.
- Perform such duties as deemed necessary for ongoing ministry of the church.
- Complete work in a professional and timely manner.
- An ability to recruit, lead & inspire volunteers, and work well with all ages. Demonstrated ability and experience in this area is preferred.
- An enthusiasm in leading worship music at all service. Hymns are not dirges.
- A willingness to be open to new ideas and new musical styles, particularly in contemporary worship service(s).
- An ability to make worship, practice and other musical activities worth participants’ time and energy.
- A willingness to learn Lutheran theology, liturgy, and use of music in worship, particularly in our traditional worship service(s).
- Demonstrate competency playing piano, keyboard, and organ. (Church may be flexible on organ, depending on candidates other experience and musical skills.)
- Experience and gifts in leading and directing choirs of all ages.
- Ability to work well with others, to work on a staff and under supervision from the lead pastor and church council.
- While music or education degrees are not required, they are a plus.
Contact/How to Apply