Centenary United Methodist Church
- Type of Position: Full-Time
- Education Requirement: Master's
- Experience Requirement: At least 10 years
- Date Posted: January 23, 2018
Centenary UMC, a vibrant 3,000 member congregation located in the heart of Winston-Salem, the City of Arts and Innovation, is seeking our next Minister/Director of Music Ministries (Music, Worship, and the Arts). Centenary currently has four distinct worship services each with its own music style and ethos. Working in conjunction with the Senior Minister, other clergy and the music ministry staff he/she will plan, develop, and enhance the worship life of the congregation and develop the overall music ministry of the church. The Minister/Director will be additionally responsible for directing the 50 + voice Chancel Choir for the 11:00 Traditional service. The ideal candidate will have at a minimum a master’s degree in choral conducting, sacred music or related field, experience serving in large staff churches, familiarity with sacred music, proven experience directing choirs and orchestral ensembles, knowledge of and experience with multiple worship styles, proven leadership experience with direct reports and volunteers, and the desire to innovate ministry for the future of the church.
- Plan and direct all music for services and rehearsals for the Sanctuary Choir and Chancel Choir as well as times when instrumental / orchestra participations are scheduled.
- Coordinate with the Senior Minister and Worship Planning Team the planning and scheduling of all worship services and elements of worship.
- Relate to the Altar Guild as necessary for their unique service.
- Plan and direct rehearsals and services for soloists, leaders and small vocal ensembles.
- Supervises all music staff including the Organist/Music Associate, Music and the Arts Assistant, Section Leaders, Alternative Music Leader, Ensembles, handbell choir directors, The Children’s Choir Director, and the Youth Choir Director. As appropriate to status and needs, regularly consult, develop and evaluate goals and objectives for each of these.
- Coordinate opportunities for participation in worship and special services for all choirs, ensembles, and music groups comprising the church’s music ministry area.
- Develop the music and worship ministry budget based on projection of needs, ministry area goals and taking into account prior year’s budget history, and articulate the budget in a clear and appropriate manner to the Finance Committee.
- In collaboration with the Music and the Arts Committee, develop a budget based on projection of needs, ministry area goals and taking into account prior year’s budget history, and articulate the Music and Arts budget in a clear and appropriate manner to the Finance Committee.
- Promote information and communication about Music and the Arts ministries to the church and community.
- Provide effective communication and direction to staff and laity through staff meetings, committee meetings, and all administrative functions.
- Perform regular assessment of existing music and worship ministry programs and work to develop new programs in coordination with lay leadership and appropriate staff.
- Perform regular assessment of existing Music and Arts programs and work to develop new programs in coordination with lay leadership and appropriate staff.
- Recruit individuals for participation in all music and arts programs of the church.
- Study, select, order and manage the music library.
- Represent CUMC in various community music/arts organizations, district committees, and conference organizations as time permits and with permission of the Senior Minister.
- Participate in staff meetings, leadership meetings and the general life of the church, collaborating with the other staff members to complement the Music and the Arts with all other areas of church ministry.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, able to work in a team environment with all levels within the organization.
- Strategic thinker, able to recognize the role of music, worship and arts ministry within the greater life of the church.
- Adaptive leader who can collaborate with staff and various ministry area leaders to fulfill the vision and meet the mission of the congregation.
- Possess skills and knowledge of various styles of music.
- Master’s level education in Music required.
- Good understanding of The United Methodist Church, its polity, liturgy, history and beliefs is a plus.
- Experience: Minimum 10 years experience in and leadership of a successful Music/Arts program in a church environment.
- Strong written and oral communications ability.
- Demonstrated strategic thinking and performance.
- Proven leadership and excellent organizational skills. Must be able to prioritize and balance multiple projects.
- Primary gifts of administration, leadership, discernment, encouragement, and artistic expression and teaching are necessary.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and scope of work being performed by persons assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties, skills, and responsibilities required.
Contact/How to Apply