First United Methodist Church
- Type of Position: Full-Time
- Education Requirement: Bachelor's
- Experience Requirement: At least 2 years
- Date Posted: December 19, 2018
Expectations: This person shall:
- Have either a degree in sacred music or a degree in music with at least 2 years of experience in music leadership.
- Be proficient in rehearsing and directing worship service music for choirs, soloists, children’s and youth music groups or other musical performances.
- Have positive relational skills, enjoy participating in positive relationships in a Christian environment and be able to work flexible hours as needed to meet music program scheduling needs.
Hours: Full-time salaried position with work hours in accordance with program needs to include rehearsals, worship services, and special programs. Specific working hours to be determined with the Senior Pastor.
Line of Accountability: The Director of Music Ministries is accountable to the Staff Pastor Parish Relations Committee, with immediate supervision by the Senior Pastor.
- Organize and direct the singing and hand bell choirs for children, youth, and adults. Coordinate all volunteers who work with these groups.
- Be responsible for supervising and assisting organists and accompanists.
- Be responsible for arranging the maintenance and tuning of the pianos and organs.
- Be responsible for the care, maintenance and development of the music library and any other musical instruments and related equipment, such as PA, audio/video systems used by the church.
- Review and approve requests for the use of any equipment, music, or other music department items.
- Approve in consultation with the Pastor, all music used during church wedding ceremonies.
- Be responsible for securing or approving any special music used in worship services.
- In consultation with the Worship Planning team that includes the Senior Pastor, assist in choosing hymns for each worship service appropriate to the service.
- Relate and work as a staff person with the Worship Committee.
- Be willing to work with any church work area, class, or Church organization which may need the assistance or services of the Director of Music Ministries.
- Work closely with the Directors of Ministries to Families with Children and Director of Student Ministries to develop a program of music ministry with children and youth.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Senior Pastor.
Following are other skills and experience that are helpful but not required:
- Networking relationships with the greater music community in Rogers and NWA
- Some skill and experience in playing musical instruments such as guitar/piano
- Experience conducting large musical works (cantatas, musicals, oratorios) and choral works with orchestra or other instrumentation
- Basic knowledge of sacred choral repertoire including classical, contemporary, and praise & worship music
- Experience working with multi-age programs or at least having worked with several different age groups
- Expertise with play and directing handbells
- Some drama experience
- Computer literacy that includes experience with media programs, worship service planning media programs, social media platforms, etc.
Contact/How to Apply