National United Methodist Church
- Type of Position: Part-Time
- Date Posted: December 3, 2018
National United Methodist Church, a reconciling congregation with a vibrant music program, seeks a music ministry associate with a passion for creative worship and handbell direction to expand our handbell program at our Metropolitan Memorial campus beginning January 2019. Position includes directing the Radiant Ringers, our adult handbell ensemble, directing or co-directing the Youth Worship Ensemble, and leading handbell introductory classes for our elementary age students twice a year. Radiant Ringers ring 5 octave bells and chimes at a 3+/4 level, and our Youth Worship Ensemble rings 3 octave bells at 1+/2 level.
- Handbell and choral conducting experience
- Strong music reading ability
- Proficiency on an accompaniment instrument (piano, organ, or guitar)
- Ability to work effectively with church staff and volunteers
- Demonstration of strong organizational and communication skills
- Experience working with children/youth preferable
- Leading two weekly rehearsals (Sundays 11 -11:45 a.m. Youth Worship Ensemble; Sundays 4:00 - 6:00 p.m. Adult Handbells)
- Leading each choir in worship once a month, October - May, plus Christmas Eve, Youth Sunday, and Easter
- Recruiting and increasing membership in ensembles
- Performing off-campus with the adult handbell choir at least once a year
- Overseeing maintenance of instruments and handbell library
- Selecting appropriate repertoire for ensembles
- Teaching introductory bells or chimes to elementary school choirs in two to three week units twice per calendar year (Sundays, 9 - 10 a.m.)
- Offer a yearly introductory class to bells for all ages
- Communicate regularly with ringers, director of music, and pastor
Time Requirement: Average of 10 hours per week, September through mid-May.
Salary: $9,975, with continuing education funds available to help offset the cost of festival/conference attendance.
Contact/How to Apply