United Reformed Church
- Type of Position: Part-Time
- Date Posted: November 7, 2018
The mission of United Reformed Church of Somerville is “Love All and Serve All in the Name of Jesus Christ.” All staff and members of United Reformed are expected to practice this vision in their life together.
United Reformed Church sees its musical life developing in a varied and blended direction that reflects the diverse desires of the congregation. While the foundation of congregational singing at United will continue to be hymns accompanied by an organ, music at United will increasingly include a range of musical styles, led by a choir, and accompanied by additional instrumentation.
Specific Duties of the Director of Music/Organist:
- Direct and accompany the adult choir
- Maintain the agreements for additional musicians (vocal and/or instrumental) who are hired to supplement Sunday services or special services
- Play the organ, piano, and/or keyboard for regularly scheduled worship services
- Provide preludes and postludes for regularly scheduled worship services, including special holiday services, as well as the 12th Night Boar’s Head Festival
- Consult with the pastor relative to the selection of hymns to be sung by the congregation
- Maintain or schedule maintenance for the organ, pianos, and handbells
- Maintain the music library and the choir room
- Play at weddings and funerals (for added compensation) when schedule allows li>Attend staff meetings when needed
- Work with the Worship Committee regarding music budget and any other matters
- Meet annually with the Personnel Committee to review the job description and performance
- Hires, supervises, and dismisses section leaders and instrumentalists
- Submits section leader and instrumentalist records to Church Treasurer for payment
- Finds substitutes for Sundays off
- Is a highly capable organist and keyboard performer
- Choral conducting (mostly volunteer vocalists)
- Flexibility to perform in a variety of musical genres
Compensation: Range of $1,500 to $1,833 monthly (annualized, $18,000 to $22,000)
Time expected: Average 10-12 hours/week
Instruments: The Organ at United Reformed Church is a Three Manual + Pedal Hartman-Beaty, with 42 Ranks, 29 voices, with electro-mechanical chest action (additional specifications provided on request). The Piano in the Sanctuary is a Yamaha C3 Baby Grand. The Sanctuary is also home to a Yamaha Clavinova.
Position to be filled in Mid-January 2019.
Contact/How to Apply