Barrington United Methodist Church
- Type of Position: Part-Time
- Experience Requirement: 7-10 years
- Education Requirement: Master's preferred
- Date Posted: November 7, 2018
Barrington United Methodist Church (BUMC), a dynamic United Methodist congregation of almost 1,000 members, is seeking a faith-based part-time organist/accompanist with experience in a range of musical styles.
The primary responsibility of the Organist is to create vibrant worship experiences through organ and piano performance and accompaniment. The organist plays, with excellence, organ and piano music at traditional and chapel worship services, weddings (including rehearsals as necessary), funerals and other services.
- Select and perform service music (typically the prelude, offertory, and postlude) during two of the three Sunday services. in keeping with weekly worship plans and themes.
- Accompany congregational singing.
- Accompany the Chancel Choir, including rehearsals.
- Accompany and rehearse with soloists as requested.
- Assist the accompanists and/or accompany various choirs and ensembles as requested.
- Prepare and play for weddings, funerals and special services as assigned by the DMWA.
- In consultation with the DMWA and Chair of the Trustees, arrange for service and upkeep of the organ and pianos.
The Organist is a highly accomplished musician who possesses a spirit of collegiality, compassion, and cooperation. The Organist has a heart for ministry, and a love of God. In addition, the Organist:
- is flexible and adapts to last minute changes.
- has a positive attitude.
- has a high level of personal and professional integrity.
- works collegially with staff, musicians, colleagues and laity.
- has a focus on quality and is committed to excellence.
- is punctual.
Education and Skills:
- Degree in music (M.M. degree preferred; B.Mus. or B.A. in music acceptable in combination with experience and demonstrated excellence).
- Strong experience and expertise in playing church music.
- Part-time salaried position.
- Hours include Sunday morning worship services and Thursday evening Chancel choir rehearsals.
- Weddings, funerals and rehearsals as required; additional compensation paid.
- Special services could include (but are not limited to): Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Memorial Communion (November), Thanksgiving Community Meal (November), Blue Christmas (December), Christmas Eve.
- Actual weekly working hours of the Organist shall be coordinated with and approved by the Director of Music and Worship Arts (DMWA).
BUMC is a growing, multi-generational church in the northwest Suburbs of Chicago, with three vibrant Sunday morning worship experiences: a small, intimate chapel service; a traditional service featuring liturgy, hymns, Chancel Choir; and a casual, contemporary style service. BUMC’s Music and Worship Arts ministry utilizes a variety of choirs, ensembles and instrumental groups, and volunteer arts and support teams to enhance our worship experiences. Our staff, ministry teams, and congregation are dedicated to excellence in worship and to thoughtful, intentionally-designed worship services that create opportunities to encounter the living God. See the website (barringtonumc.com) for additional details on the church’s ministry.
As a part of a multi-site, multi-cultural partnership of two congregations and three campuses, BUMC is growing into its identity as the administrative and operational center of this regional church partnership that brings individuals from diverse communities, different cultures and different economic bases into relationship with one another.
BUMC has a Wicks/Walker 3 manual, 42 rank hybrid digital/pipe organ, a Yamaha S6 concert grand, two Yamaha GC1 baby grands, three other upright pianos, a Kurzweil weighted 88-key synthesizer, and Schulmerich handbells and handchimes.
Salary: Based on experience and expertise and competitive with similar positions in the area.
Vacation: Four Sundays off each year.
Contact/How to Apply
Applications should consist of the following:
- Letter of application, which should include a summary of education, technical skill, call to ministry, philosophy of collaboration, communication practices, and organizational techniques
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- High quality video of organ and piano performance, across a variety of musical styles. Please upload video materials to a YouTube private channel for use of the BUMC search process only. To create an unlisted posting:
- Create a YouTube account if you do not have one (youtube.com)
- Begin the upload process of the video from your computer
- In the dropdown menu that is set to “Public” as a default, choose “Unlisted”
- Enter in any information you want in the description
- Click “Publish”
- Include the URL that is created in your application materials
Screening of candidates will begin immediately and the search will remain open until the position is filled. Expected start date is March 2019.
Letters of recommendation and written permission to contact references may be requested at a later time. References should include at least one former supervisor.
The full job description is posted at barringtonumc.com.
Director of Music and Worship Arts Search Committee
Barrington United Methodist Church
98 Algonquin Rd
Barrington IL 60010