Fairmount Presbyterian Church
Cleveland Heights, OH
- Type of Position: Part-Time
- Education Requirement: Bachelor's
- Date Posted: August 31, 2018
Fairmount Presbyterian Church is seeking a part-time organist/accompanist for a position opening October 1, 2018.
The Organist/Accompanist provides musical support and content for all worship services, including weddings, funerals, and other church/community events as needed. The Organist/Accompanist, in partnership with the Artistic Director, will offer a wide variety of music in worship, both in content and form. Applicants should feel comfortable performing repertoire from varied times, traditions, and nations, as well working with church members of differing levels of musical ability.
Instruments: Fairmount’s Sanctuary features a 100 Rank, 100 register Schantz pipe organ, which has the distinction of being the largest in the city of Cleveland. Additional instruments: Ruggles pipe organ (Chapel), 2 Steinway Grand Pianos, 1 Harpsichord
Hours: 20 hours a week, including regular Thursday rehearsals for youth/adult choirs (5-9 p.m.) and Sunday morning worship services (8 a.m. - 12 p.m.). During high, holy seasons (Advent, Christmas, Holy Week/Easter) additional services, events, and extended rehearsals will be required. Additional events that are part of base pay may include choir concerts, recitals and other outreach functions.
Salary: Negotiable; starting at $19,000. Compensation commensurate with experience and qualifications.
- Love and respect for all people
- Attested musical skills on the organ and piano
- Ability to sight read hymns, anthem accompaniments and liturgy required
- Comfort playing a diverse range of styles
- Experience in worship leadership preferred, but not required
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in Music Performance preferred
- American Guild of Organist SPC and CAGO certification preferred
- Work with Artistic Director to provide musical support for all worship services, funerals, weddings, and other church/community events Sunday services generally include, but are not limited to: Gathering Music, Prelude, Hymns/Congregational Singing (selected by Pastors or through collaboration), Choral Anthems/Special Music/Guest Musician(s), Offertory, Communion, Postlude
- Work with staff to build member participation in music ministries
- Provide accompaniment for Adult Choir
- Provide musical support for children and youth choir ensembles, as requested
- Rehearse with soloists, small ensembles, or other members who provide musical content on Sunday mornings
- Establish personal rehearsal time at the organ/piano and inform main office to schedule sanctuary for your use
- Meet w/ Artistic Director for planning and preparation, as requested
- Submit titles and composers of music literature to church office one week prior to service for inclusion in bulletin
- Substitute as director of Adult Choir at request of Artistic Director
- Must secure a qualified substitute for all absences
- Oversee tuning and maintenance of all instruments
Contact/How to Apply
Please direct resumes, cover letters, media showcasing and questions to:
Leah Wyman, Artistic Director
2757 Fairmount Blvd.
Cleveland Heights, OH 44118