Moreland Presbyterian Church
- Type of Position: Part-Time
- Education Requirement: Bachelor's
- Date Posted: August 18, 2018
Provides organ and/or piano accompaniment for the Chancel Choir, soloists, LOGOS Children’s Choir, and congregation for the Sunday morning worship service and additional seasonal services (Advent, Christmas, Lent, Holy Week and Easter) plus rehearsals. Also responsible for instrumental preludes, postludes, offertories, and special interludes at these services.
- Works with the Director of Worship Music, choirs, instrumentalists, and others to support an evocative worship experience, as well as to promote inspired and joyful musicianship.
- Prepares and plays complex pipe organ and piano pieces for the Sunday morning worship service; accompanies congregational singing, choir anthems, special music; and provides for instrumental preludes, postludes, offertories, and special interludes throughout the service.
- Rehearses with Chancel Choir and LOGOS Children’s Choir at their weekly rehearsals.
- Works with Director of Worship Music to recruit and rehearse with soloists and other musicians as needed.
- Plays for weddings and funerals and secures vocal/instrumental soloists for these services when requested by the Pastor(s) or Worship & Music Ministries Elder(s) and in accordance with established church procedures.
- Arranges for repair and tuning of pipe organ and pianos as needed.
- Meets regularly with supervisor for planning, preparation, evaluation, and mentoring.
- Participates regularly to coordinate worship with Pastor(s) and Worship Music Director.
- Attends Worship & Music Ministries committee meetings as requested.
- Attends Church Ministry Staff meetings as requested.
- Demonstrated ability to play the church pipe organ and piano.
- Demonstrated ability to sight-read music.
- Demonstrated ability to accompany soloists, ensembles, and congregation.
- Ability to consistently perform duties to the highest professional standards
- Commitment to the MPC community of faith, the ministry staff team, and to consistent availability on weekends in Portland.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Music (B.A./B.M.) is preferred.
- Previous experience as church organist/accompanist is preferred.
- Candidates must pass a criminal background check.
Overall Relationships and Accountability:
- Accountable to the Head of Staff through the Director of Worship Music
- Maintains positive working relationships with the Elder for Worship and Music Ministries and committee members, the pastors, other church employees, and members of the congregation
- Compliance with the Book of Order, and other policies, procedures and guidelines established by the church, Cascades Presbytery and PCUSA is required.
- Compliance with copyright law is required
This is a part-time year-round salaried position which is considered exempt under the Federal Fair Labor Standards Act for Professional Employees. Working hours will vary according to the church calendar and activities. Incumbent is responsible for planning and practice outside of scheduled program hours.
Reporting and Evaluation:
This position reports directly to the Director of Worship Music, and has no supervisory responsibilities. The Personnel Ministry Team will assign a Committee member to meet on a periodic basis with the Organist.
Contact/How to Apply