Moreland Presbyterian Church
- Type of Position: Part-Time
- Education Requirement: Bachelor's
- Date Posted: August 18, 2018
The Director of Worship Music provides leadership and oversight for the various expressions of the Worship & Music ministries at Moreland, working in partnership with and support of the Pastoral and Ministry staff in envisioning, creating, coordinating and facilitating musical worship for all generations of our community of faith.
Oversight/Leadership for Worship & Music Ministries
- Provides visional leadership and oversight for all aspects of Worship & Music ministries; develops and maintains a thriving music ministry which supports and enhances the worship experience.
- With pastoral ministry staff, coordinates the calendar of the Worship & Music ministries, and collaboratively supports the development of thematic focal points for weekly worship. Selects choir anthems and special music to complement the central theme for worship each week (including summer worship season), and suggests hymns and songs to be sung at worship.
- Promotes inspired and joyful musicianship by challenging and developing the talents of musicians, encouraging creativity, and cultivating positive working relationships.
- Supervises the organist and accompanists who are working under contract for the church, as well as guest musicians.
Leadership/Direction the Chancel Choir
- Provide musical leadership during weekly worship on Sundays.
- Direct the Chancel Choir and special vocal ensembles for weekly worship and special holiday worship celebrations (e.g. Christmas Eve, Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday).
- Prepare for and direct regular (weekly) rehearsals of the Chancel Choir for the Choir season.
- Recruit and select soloists and guest musicians.
- Schedule and lead rehearsals for soloists, ensembles and instrumentalists as needed.
- Lead the invitation and recruitment process for new Chancel Choir members.
- Empower and encourage volunteer leadership (e.g. Choir president, chaplain, librarian) for the spiritual, relational and missional health and growth of the Choir community and ministry.
Leadership/Direction of the LOGOS Children’s Choir
- Direct the LOGOS Children’s Choir and special vocal ensembles for participation in Sunday worship and special holiday worship celebrations (e.g. Christmas Pageant/Eve, Easter Sunday).
- Prepare for and direct regular (weekly) rehearsals of the LOGOS Choir for the LOGOS Season.
- Recruit and select soloists and guest musicians, and schedule and lead rehearsals for soloists, ensembles and instrumentalists as needed.
- With Director of Children’s Ministries and volunteer staff, coordinate the schedule for LOGOS music ministries (established each Spring), and collaboratively support the thematic focal points of the LOGOS ministry and overall Children’s ministries.
- Empower and encourage children and their families for the spiritual, relational and missional health and growth of the LOGOS and Children’s ministries communities.
- Facilitate consistent, clear and timely communication within the Worship & Music ministries, and between Worship & Music ministries and all other ministry areas of the church.
- Attend and participate in regularly scheduled Ministry Staff meetings, Worship & Music Ministry Team meetings, and periodic Ministry Staff retreats/visioning sessions.
- Provide guidance and support for all other music ministries of the church (e.g. Bell Choir, Instrumental Ensembles, Worship Band)
- Invitation and recruitment of members and friends to participate in the Worship & Music ministries, both for on-going ensembles and special occasions.
- Select and acquire appropriate new music for the Choirs and other ensembles as needed.
- Collaborate with Ministry staff and Worship & Music Ministry volunteers to envision, create and promote new opportunities for musical expression and connection with the broader Sellwood-Moreland and Portland communities (including hosting community musical events).
- May provide music for weddings, funerals and other private celebrations at the church.
- Demonstrated ability to envision how music integrates and enhances communal experiences of worship in a Christian context
- Demonstrated ability to lead vocal ensembles of varying ages, and give overall leadership and support to a broad-based, musically diverse Worship & Music ministry.
- Demonstrated leadership, planning, communications skills.
- Commitment to the Moreland Presbyterian community of faith, the Ministry Staff team, and to consistent availability on weekends and church holidays.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Music (B.A./B.M.) or equivalent is preferred.
- Previous experience as a ministry musician/leader is preferred.
- Candidates must pass a criminal background check.
Overall Relationships and Accountability:
- Accountable to the Pastor/Head of Staff and Personnel Team (on behalf of Session).
- Maintains positive working relationships with the Elder for Worship and Music and Ministry Team members, the pastors, other church employees, and members of the congregation
- Compliance with the Book of Order, and other policies, procedures and guidelines established by the church, Cascades Presbytery and PCUSA is required.
- Ensures compliance with copyright and other applicable legal requirements.
This is a part-time, professional ministry position and is considered exempt under the Federal Fair Labor Standards Act for Professional Employees. The incumbent is expected to devote the hours required to perform and accomplish the responsibilities of the position.
Reporting and Evaluation:
This position reports directly to the Senior Pastor/Head of Staff. The Personnel Ministry Team will assign a Team member as a liaison to meet on a periodic basis with the Director of Worship Music.
Contact/How to Apply