First Presbyterian Church of Bonita Springs
Bonita Springs, FL
- Type of Position: Full-Time
- Experience Requirement: At least 5 years preferred
- Education Requirement: Bachelor's preferred
- Date Posted: May 23, 2018
Organist and pianist for all worship services
- Sunday mornings services, 2 or 3 per week.
- Additional special services: Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Thanksgiving Eve and others as needed.
- Available for Saturday evening services if needed (rare).
Accompanist for all ensembles
- There are presently 5 ensembles that need a regular accompanist.
Coach, rehearsal pianist and accompanist for soloists
- In consultation with the Director of Sacred Arts, assists in the scheduling and selection of solo music for worship services. Prepares and coaches / rehearses paid section leaders and other soloists for worship and special services.
Worship service coordination
- With the Director of Sacred Arts, works with pastoral staff on the planning and implementation of worship which may include responsibilities beyond music. The Sacred Arts Department also oversees, communion preparation, ushering, acolytes, flowers. All elements of worship production may fall under our oversight.
- Serve on the Worship and Music Committee.
- Communicate to pastoral, media and publications team the information needed for worship coordination and bulletins.
- Serve as a resource to larger ministry groups who have musical needs for their onsite programming.
- Accompanist for First Academy of Music recitals (at least 2 per year).
Memorials and Weddings
- Organizes all music, musicians and payments for memorial services and weddings.
- Has right of first refusal for these services but must organize all musicians regardless of whether you play the service or someone else does.
- Additional compensation is given for serving as organist, keyboardist for these services.
- Oversees the maintenance and tuning of all church instruments including church owned organs, pianos, handbells, carillon, keyboards and percussion instruments.
Director of Sacred Arts Associate
- Fill in for the Director of Sacred Arts as needed.
- Run sectional rehearsals with the Chancel Choir.
Further tasks will be assigned based on the successful candidate’s experience and interests from the following areas of Sacred Arts Ministry:
- Art Gallery oversight
- Drama ministry
- Fine Arts Concert Series management
- Christian Artist Series management
- Directing Handbell Choir(s)
- Directing Men’s Choir
- Directing New Horizons Concert Band
- Directing the Contemporary Ensemble
- Directing / oversight of the Children’s Choir
- Teach music enrichment for Wonder Years Preschool
- Composing and arranging for choirs and instruments
- Maintain/update ticket & registration websites related to Sacred Arts Department activities
- Media department resource
- Must be a committed disciple of Christ with a solid understanding of the Christian faith and committed to living the Christian faith.
- Able to work independently but can also be a contributing team player.
- Can work with volunteer and professional musicians, understanding music to be a tool of worship and work with church members in a compassionate and pastoral manner.
- Exceptional abilities as an organist and accompanist.
- Understands group vocal techniques and is an excellent vocal coach for soloists.
- Is fluent in classical music and traditional worship styles, and comfortable in a wide range of music genres. Must be able to read a lead sheet.
- Organized, responsive and timely in administrative activities.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in music, organ performance or church music preferred.
- 5 years of full time or part time work is preferred.
- $50,000 - $60,000 depending on ability and experience.
- Medical, dental and pension plans.
- Paid time off.
- Allowance for continuing education and professional expenses.
First Presbyterian Church of Bonita Springs is a large church with a membership of 1900, an average attendance of 1800 but with very seasonal swings of attendance. Summer attendance is 600 - 800 and Winter season is typically about 3,000. We are a vibrant, active church in an area that features several retirement communities. We seek to honor God by doing everything with excellence while respecting the role volunteers play in our ministries.
The Sacred Arts Department has four main areas of responsibility.
- We oversee an active worship schedule with 2 –4 worship services per weekend depending on the time of year. The chancel choir has 140 singers and has typically 90 – 110 singers on a Sunday in season. We employ four paid section leaders.
- We host three different concert series for a total of 22 performances and process over 25,000 tickets per season.
- We are home to the First Academy of Music, a community music school with over 100 students of all age ranges.
- We oversee a large media department whose responsibilities include sound, lighting, projection and a live HD feed of our services to remote locations.
Contact/How to Apply
- Resume sent in PDF format
- Three letters of reference in PDF format, one from your most recent employer and at least one from a volunteer you have worked with.
- A brief statement of faith that includes a description of your call or motivation to serve the church through music. (In PDF format)
- Links to:
- 1 or more videos of you playing organ. We are most interested in hymn playing, solo literature and accompanying. Other videos are welcomed and can include piano accompanying, choir directing or any other activity that demonstrates your musical skills.
- LinkedIn, Facebook or other social media profiles you wish to share.
The deadline for applications is August 1, 2018. Our hope is that a successful candidate will begin not later than November 1, 2018.