Claremont United Church of Christ
- Type of Position: Full-Time
- Experience Requirement: At least 3 years
- Education Requirement: Master's
- Date Posted: January 31, 2018
The Director of Music and Fine Arts of Claremont United Church of Christ is responsible for developing and managing a dynamic, multi-faceted music and fine arts program at CUCC. The director will ensure an inspiring musical and fine arts experience through congregational worship and community events and is responsible for managing all Music and Fine Arts Staff including: section leaders/soloists, organists, and additional music staff.
- Plans and coordinates the total church music and fine arts program, including all worship, musical performances, and other programs.
- Recruits for and directs and/or supervises all choirs, hand bells, children’s choirs, instrumentalists, ensembles, and guest musicians.
- Plans and prepares the music for all regular and special services of worship in consultation with Senior Pastors, incorporating a diversity of genres, styles, and instrumentation in the worship services.
- Networks with other colleagues, local musicians, and colleges in the community and regularly incorporates outside groups into the worship services.
- Schedules rehearsals, retreats, and continuing education as appropriate for each choir/ensemble.
- Collaborates with the Senior Pastors to integrate music and fine arts with the worship service and sermon themes.
- Acts as administrator of the music and fine arts programs including budget development and oversight, personnel management, and maintenance of musical instruments.
- Provides staff support for boards and committees related to the music and arts ministries of the congregation and collaborates on integrative projects with other boards and ministries.
- Actively participates in weekly staff meetings and provides appropriate schedules of weekly music activities.
- Organizes and expands the music library and ensures all copyright permissions are in place.
- Develops future music programs inclusive of, but not limited to: additional choirs, youth choir, in-house ensembles, various concert series.
- Selects pieces that are theologically appropriate for a progressive church and encourages the use of inclusive language in performances.
- Follows CUCC Policy and the procedures outlined in the Employee Handbook.
- Works independently and as part of the Church Staff and lay leadership “teams” to accomplish both routine tasks and special projects/events, support CUCC’s mission and vision, and perform tasks in a manner consistent with standards of professional practice (including but not limited to) confidentiality, strong work ethic, self-directed work activities, conflict management, and good communication.
- Advanced degree in music or related field.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience with choral conducting and experience in sacred conducting.
- Proficiency and experience in playing both organ and piano accompaniment preferred.
- Proficiency and experience in choral and instrumental direction.
- Experience in church music that encompasses diverse cultures, faith traditions, and musical styles.
- An appreciation of the Fine Arts.
- Demonstrated understanding of membership/volunteer organization structure and operation.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and prioritize duties.
- Outgoing, friendly personality with a sense of Christian mission, as well as a sense of humor.
- Strong written and verbal communication; good “customer service.”
Contact/How to Apply